Thursday, August 26, 2010
August 24, 2010 Meeting Minutes
Our first meeting was Tuesday, August 24th, and it was great! We had introductions of all of our officers, wonderful pictures included, before covering some important information and upcoming events.
Meeting on Thursday!
· Dr. Steven Case, the Associate Dean of Admissions at the University of Mississippi Medical Center, is coming to speak to us today, August 25th, at 7:00 p.m. in McCool 109. He will be speaking about the admission and the interview processes.
· Come early for pizza, and try to look nice!
Next meeting in September
· September 16th at 7:00 p.m. in McCool 100
· Our speaker will be Dr. Jim Weir from the William Carey College of Osteopathic Medicine
· Stadium cleanups typically begin at 6:00 a.m.
· You must attend 2 stadium cleanups to go on your first medical school visit and 1 stadium cleanup for each subsequent medical school visit.
· First stadium cleanup is Sunday, September 4th.
· We are unsure of the date of the cleanup for the Auburn game. You will receive an email about it later.
· We will be having a raffle for $20 at the end of the semester, but you can only enter if you’ve come to stadium cleanups!
· The more people we have, the faster the stadium cleanups go, so everyone should try to come!
· One-time membership dues of $20 – this covers all 4 years, or any years you have left if you are not a freshman. If you have paid before, you do not need to pay again!
· You can pay with cash or check at the next meeting.
· September 20th, 2010 in Union rooms 325 and 327 from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m.
· Our volunteer time slots are all full, but you can still come and give blood!
· 2009 – 2010 t-shirts are available for purchase for $5
· 2010 – 2011 t-shirts will also be available for purchase. More information will be available at a later date.
Medical School Visits
· We will have 2 each semester.
· Possibilities for this school year are: Emory, UMMC, UAB, Tulane, and William Carey
· We’re having a practice MCAT this Saturday, August 28th, in Hand at 8:00 a.m.
· If you are a member of AMSA, you will be reimbursed for the practice test fee.
· Habitat for Humanity
· The tentative date is September 11th.
· We will send out more information on this later.
· Mary Celeste Reese has information on a shadowing opportunity here at the Oktibbeha County Hospital.
· If you’re interested, see her in the Biological Sciences office, located on the 2nd floor of Etheredge.