Next Meeting: Feb. 16
Dr Davis from UMMC will be giving a talk on the "Pathways to Medicine"
Be sure to come out and meet her if you plan on applying to UMMC!
Potential Community Service/Volunteer project:
Up Til Dawn letter writing campaign to benefit St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital
- Teams of 10
- Feb 8
- Writing letters to friends and family on behalf of St. Jude
- Sunday, Jan 29
- 4th floor of Griffis Computer lab
- 1 PM
- Free for AMSA members
- Only $10, and they are fantastic! Who wouldn't want a Dr. Bully shirt? They will be available for purchase at every meeting
- UMC Trip - April 13th (tentative)
- UT Memphis Trip - probably March, overnight trip
And our guest speakers is SSG. Harvey, SSG. Bittenbender, and SSG. Harding
Health Professions Scholarship Program
- Estimated Annual Cost of UMMC: $35,000
- Total Tuition Cost can accumulate up to $300,000
- However, you could complete medical school DEBT FREE
- 1,2,3,4 year scholarship that covers the majority of fees
- Over $2000 stipend per month
- All specialties are accepted
- Obligation is one year of service for each year of scholarship with a minimum of 2 years for physicians
- Army Avg Board Pass 90% vs Civilian Avg Board Pass of 70%
- Know that a private practice includes paying for professions, staff, insurance, a facility, and miscellaneous costs: None of that in Army Medicine!
- There is no malpractice insurance and staffing is provided, as is healthcare benefits
- 30 days of paid vacation
- Best patients around!