Next Meeting: Thurs, Oct 20!!!
- Saturday, Oct 8
- 8:00 AM in Griffis computer lab, 4th floor
- Saturday, Oct 29 from 8am-12am
- We will let you know once a community service has been chosen
Next cleanup is the South Carolina game on Oct 15!
- Remember: you get to go on medical school trips
- We are also having a drawing at the end of cleanup and another at the end of the semester
- We do not have a set date for this trip, but it will probably be on a Friday. More info to come later!
Rural Physician Scholarship Program from UMMC
Speaker: Ms. Janie Guice
To be considered for the program, must be/have:
- Rural background
- Work ethic
- Exposure to medicine
- Faculty evaluations
- Commitment to MRPSP
Data supports that Mississippi is in need of more physicians, in particular, ones that practice in rural areas
- 1st in adult obesity
- 1st in heart disease deaths
- 1st in teen birth rate
- 2nd in infant mortality
- 2nd in diabetes
- 2nd in hypertension
- 3rd in cancer mortality
- Fewest physicians per capita!
The Program consists of four distinct phases
- Undergraduate premedical education
- Medical or osteopathic school
- Primary care residency training
- Rural clinical medical practice
Applications MUST be submitted by Feb 15.
March: Interviews by physicians
April: School of Medicine Admissions Committee Interviews
May: Selection of 15 undergraduates plus alternates
Once you've graduated and been through residency:
- 4yrs of service
- Rural town of less than 20,000
- Must be 30 miles outside of a medically served area
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the website http://mrpsp.umc.edu
Once again, it was good to see everyone, and we look forward to seeing you again at the next meeting (10-20)!